What Do Mosquitoes Eat?
It’s easy to believe that mosquitoes feed on blood and blood alone, but that is not the case. In actuality, only female mosquitoes require blood meals in order to reproduce. Otherwise, mosquitoes are similar to other insects in their preferences for sustenance:
- As larvae, mosquitoes feed on algae, bacteria, and other organic material in the water within which they live.
- In the pupal stage, mosquitoes do not feed whatsoever.
- Both male and female adult mosquitoes feed on nectar from flowering plants.
- In addition to human blood, female mosquitoes also feed on birds, small mammals, snakes, and more.
Do Mosquitoes Only Feed on Blood?
You may be surprised to learn that blood makes up for a small percentage of a mosquito’s diet. In fact, female mosquitoes feed on blood in order to reproduce, meaning male mosquitoes do not need to feed on blood ever. Mosquitoes require frequent sugar intake in order to survive. Similar to other insects, both male and female insects feed on nectar, plant sap, and honeydew for nourishment.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Male vs. Female Mosquito Diet
Only female mosquitoes bite to feed on blood. So what do male mosquitoes feed on? Here’s how they differ in diet:
- In order to reproduce, female mosquitoes must have a blood meal. Afterward, they are able to breed and lay their eggs. Female mosquitoes also feed on nectar, which is a large part of their diet.
- Male mosquitoes do not feed on blood. Instead, they rely on sugar from plant nectar. They use their proboscis to retrieve the nectar from plants. Male mosquitoes thus are not responsible for transmitting diseases.
What Happens When Mosquitoes Can't Feed?
Mosquitoes will not live for very long without feeding. If a female mosquito is unable to obtain a food source, it may die within days. When in a dormant stage during the winter, they can go for months without eating. However, in general, mosquitoes will die off when they don’t have a food source.
What Do Mosquitoes Eat? in Bristol TN
Serving Tennessee & Virginia