How Do You Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally?
There are endless tips and tricks out there that claim they will keep mosquitoes away naturally. But how many of these actually work? The best DIY prevention tips for mosquitoes are as follows.
- Eliminate standing water on or near your property.
- Install fans in your outdoor area.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants in light colors.
- Try essential oils, including lemon eucalyptus, lavender, and peppermint.
Natural Ways to Prevent Mosquitoes
The easiest thing you can to do prevent mosquitoes naturally is to make your property less attractive to them in general. To do this, inspect your property to look for potential mosquito breeding grounds. Tip over or cover anything that contains standing, stagnant water. This most often collects in birdbaths, pools, children’s playsets, buckets, and more. Another easy way to prevent mosquitoes when you spend time outside is to turn on an oscillating fan: mosquitoes are weak fliers that will avoid windy environments.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Homemade Mosquito Repellents
Essential oils tout a long list of benefits, but do they work as a natural mosquito repellent? It’s always important to dilute essential oils with carrier oils, and to perform a skin patch test to ensure no reactions are had. Here’s what we know about the following mosquito home remedies:
- Lemon eucalyptus oil. Both the CDC and the EPA have classified lemon eucalyptus as a mosquito repellent. It’s important to note that it has not been approved on kids younger than three years old.
- Peppermint oil. When mixed with a carrier oil (such as olive or canola), peppermint is a fragrant oil that can possibly keep mosquitoes at bay.
- Catnip oil: Derived from catnip with steam distillation, catnip oil is EPA-approved and said to provide up to seven hours of protection against mosquitoes.
- Lavender oil: As another very fragrant oil, studies have shown that lavender is effective at repelling adult mosquitoes and bites.
Does Vitamin B or Coconut Oil Prevent Mosquitoes
Despite claims that taking vitamin B will repel mosquitoes over time, all research and studies have found that it does not have an effect on mosquitoes. Similar studies have been conducted on the effectiveness of coconut oil. While not found to be effective on its own, topical applications of coconut oil on the skin combined with essential oils could help to repel mosquitoes. When it comes to preventing mosquitoes, it’s important to focus on the prevention methods that are more reliable.
How Do You Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally? in Bristol TN
Serving Tennessee & Virginia