How to Prevent Mosquito Bites in Bristol and Johnson City TN
Mosquitoes are a fact of life in the spring and summertime here in Tennessee. Thankfully, there are several things you can do to prevent mosquitoes from biting you:
- Schedule outdoor activities during the daytime when mosquitoes are less active. Dawn and dusk are when mosquitoes are most common and active.
- Eliminate sources of standing water in your yard that may attract mosquitoes.
- When spending time outdoors, wear long-sleeved shirts and pants to limit skin exposure.
- Apply an EPA-registered insect repellent to exposed skin and clothes. Always talk to your pediatrician before use on kids.
Clothes to Repel Mosquitoes
Clothing is one of the best defenses against mosquito bites, seeing as mosquitoes will bite you wherever your skin is exposed. This puts your feet, legs, arms, neck, and hands at high risk for mosquito bites. For this reason, it’s recommended to wear long-sleeved shirts to limit skin exposure. In addition, wear pants, ideally tucked into socks, to keep your ankles protected as well. Research has shown that brighter colors help repel pests. Because mosquitoes are common in the summer, it can be difficult to wear warmer clothing for protection. When you have exposed skin, consider using an EPA-registered insect repellent to keep mosquitoes from biting you.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
6 Tips to Keep Mosquitoes From Biting You While Sleeping
Whether you have an outdoor event at night or a camping trip, you likely want to avoid discovering mosquito bites the next day. Some of the best ways to prevent mosquito bites overnight include:
- Use mosquito nets while sleeping.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants that are a bright color.
- Sleep with a fan on, as mosquitoes do not fare well with wind.
- Apply an EPA-registered repellent.
- Shower before bed to clean yourself of lingering scents.
- If indoors, keep your windows shut.
Preventing Mosquito Bites on Dogs & Cats
Just as mosquitoes bite humans, they may also target your pets. Talk with your vet about choosing a dog or cat-safe mosquito repellent. In addition, be wary of walking your dog at dawn or dusk, which is when mosquitoes are most active. During the spring, take precautions to make your property less attractive to mosquitoes by eliminating standing water. Make sure to look for scratching or signs your pets have been bitten by mosquitoes. Always take your pet to the vet if they begin showing symptoms after a mosquito bite.
How To Prevent Mosquito Bites in Bristol TN in Bristol TN
Serving Tennessee & Virginia