Can I Prevent Bed Bugs When Purchasing Used Furniture?
One of the main ways bed bugs are brought into a home is when they have infested furniture. Secondhand furniture can carry bed bugs and sold, introducing bed bugs into a new environment. As scary as this seems, you can thankfully prevent an infestation by thoroughly checking the furniture before bringing it indoors. Three things you can do to prevent bed bugs in secondhand furniture are:
- Avoid buying upholstered used furniture.
- Inspect all items you buy.
- Never bring in free furniture from the curb!
How to Inspect Used Furniture for Bed Bugs
We’ve all fallen in love with a piece of furniture from our local vintage shop or secondhand store. Before you pull the trigger on buying anything, it’s crucial to inspect the item for signs of bed bugs. Here’s what to look for:
- Look for small black spots or blood stains. This is a top indicator of bed bug activity, whether they’re active or not.
- Always check the undersides and cracks of tables, shelves, bed frames, and other furnishings.
- Look in furniture joints, seams, creases, crevices, cracks, voids, and more. They’ve even been known to hide in screw holes and more.
- If you see anything suspicious, don’t take the risk and avoid bringing the furniture into your home!
Do You Have a Bed Bug Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Does All Used Furniture Have Bed Bugs?
No, used furniture isn’t guaranteed to have bed bugs. People all around the country buy second-hand furniture that is completely safe and bed bug-free. Unfortunately, many people will donate furniture from a past bed bug infestation. Whenever you buy used pieces of any kind, it’s simply best practice to thoroughly inspect all items before bringing them inside your property and running the risk of bed bugs.
How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Used Furniture
The best thing to do when you discover bed bugs in a piece of used furniture is to let the seller or store owner know. While some may offer refunds, it’s up to the seller. If you’re wishing to salvage the piece of furniture even with bed bugs, it’s time to have your furniture or property treated by a professional bed bug control expert. In the meantime, always leave the infested furniture outdoors to avoid bugs getting indoors.
Can I Prevent Bed Bugs When Purchasing Used Furniture? in Bristol TN
Serving Tennessee & Virginia