The key to never having to deal with fleas or ticks in the first place is to learn how to prevent them! By knowing how you or your pets are susceptible to these parasitic pests, you can hopefully make yourself less at risk of their bites. After all, preventing these pests is much easier than trying to get rid of an infestation in your home or business. Flea and tick prevention is as easy as taking precautions when outside and making sure your pets are protected as well.
The experts at Leo's Pest Control are here to share their best tick and flea prevention tips to keep you and your family safe from these parasitic pests in Bristol and Johnson City TN. Read on to learn more!
Best Tick and Flea Prevention Tips
Fleas and ticks are a nuisance and once you have them, they can be very difficult to get rid of. Because of that, it’s important to learn how to prevent them in the first place. Our top flea and tick prevention tips include the following.
- Wear protective, covered clothing. When venturing into areas with a lot of vegetation or tall grass, make sure to keep bare skin to a minimum to avoid ticks.
- Use insect repellent. On areas of the skin that are still exposed, it’s recommended to use an insect spray containing at least 20% DEET, as it can help deter ticks. Apply as directed by the manufacturer.
- Keep a tidy yard. Ticks and fleas love to seek shelter in areas with a lot of vegetation, even in your own backyard. Trim your grass, prune your shrubs and bushes, and remove piles of wood or other debris to keep parasitic insects away.
- Take precautions when hiking. If you’re walking or hiking in wooded areas or spots with a lot of vegetation, try to stay in the center of the trail. Avoid stepping through areas of tall grass or unkempt vegetation, where ticks could be hiding.
- Keep wildlife away. Raccoons, opossums, deer, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, and skunks can all carry fleas or ticks and deposit flea eggs and larvae into your yard.
Need help with Flea or Tick Prevention?
Click the button below to leave your information.
Home Remedies for Flea and Tick Prevention
In addition to protecting your pets with flea or tick medicine, there are a few remedies for fleas and ticks you can implement at home. Flea prevention often comes down to eliminating active fleas that might already be in your house. Spreading baking soda, salt, or diatomaceous earth on areas you believe might be infested could dehydrate any active fleas. You can also use a lemon or other citrus fruit spray on infested furniture.
Citrus works as a natural tick repellent as well. You can gently rub citrus juice or citronella oil on your dog’s neck as a means of dog tick prevention. Other natural tick prevention options include keeping a tidy yard, regular showers or baths (for you and your dog), and limiting the amount of exposed skin.
Prevent Fleas & Ticks in Your Bristol TN Home
If you’ve done all you can for flea and tick prevention and still are noticing the pests, it’s time to call in the experts. Our team of professional flea and tick exterminators can help implement the best tick and flea prevention methods in the home. To get started, contact the team at Leo's Pest Control!Back to Flea and Tick Exterminators – Control – Removal
How to Prevent Fleas & Ticks in Bristol TN
Serving Tennessee & Virginia