It’s officially the holiday season here in Tennessee. With summer far behind us, you likely think the threat of pests is gone as well. Unfortunately, there are a few winter pest problems to keep in mind as we move into the colder months ahead. Overwintering pests are any insect or wild animal that gets into your property, typically in the fall, for shelter during the winter months. Rather than hibernate during the cold winter, these pests will nest and remain active in your attic or crawl space until spring rolls around. To prevent the unwanted gift of a pest problem this holiday season, the experts at Leo’s Pest Control are here to share everything you need to know.
Pest Infestations in the Winter
Whether it’s an overwintering pest getting indoors during the fall or pests lingering in your holiday decorating boxes, there are more risks of a pest infestation this time of year than you may realize. Some of the most common pests and wild animals that try to get inside this time of year include:
- House mice: Many mice prefer secluded areas and will look to nest in your attic using insulation and other stored items for shelter.
- Roof rats: As their name implies, roof rats can squeeze their way inside and build their nests up in the attic.
- Bats: Big brown bats will roost in an attic and use it as their cave. Bats can create a big mess with their droppings.
- Wildlife: Raccoons and squirrels are strong climbers and can make their way into your attic to escape dropping temperatures outside.
Tips to Keep Pests Out During the Holidays
No one wants to deal with a pest infestation during the holidays. To keep them out of your home, here’s what to do:
- In your attic, organize all items and eliminate any clutter. Use plastic bins instead of cardboard boxes for storage, especially when it comes to holiday decorations.
- When unpacking these decorations each year, shake out the items outdoors before bringing anything inside.
- Inspect both inside out outside the attic, and seal any cracks or crevices with caulk or steel wool.
- Secure your chimney with a chimney cap, and install wire mesh over any vents or holes.
- Trim overhanging tree branches, overgrown bushes, and vines away from your home to limit roof access to pests.
- Ensure your garbage cans are securely stored in your hard with tight-fitting lids to keep pests out.
- If you store firewood outside, always inspect it for signs of spiders and other pests before bringing the firewood inside!
Winter Pest Control Services in Bristol TN
With the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, the last thing you have time to deal with is a pest infestation. To prevent pests this winter, it’s best to team up with your local exterminators at Leo’s Pest Control. Our exterminators will implement pest prevention tactics to keep all overwintering pests out. Contact us today to get started!
Tips to Prevent Pests this Holiday Season in Bristol TN
Serving Tennessee & Virginia